Buying the right gold coins (Part 2)
Step #2 - Buy the Right Gold Coins
Based on your timeframe, are bullion gold coins or investment gold coins the right fit?
Short term investments (Less than 3 years) : Bullion Gold Coins
The best and most popular gold bullion coins are:
- Canadian 1oz Gold Maple Leaf coins
- United States 1oz Gold Eagle coins
- United States 1oz Gold Buffalo coins
These three gold coins are the most actively traded gold bullion coins in the World and therefore have the best buy/sell spreads (lowest profit margin for gold dealers) of any gold bullion investment.
Long term investments (3 years and longer): Investment Gold Coins
The highest recommended gold coins for long term investing, all with an excellent history of appreciation are:
- $20 Gold Saint Gaudens – Graded MS63 to MS66 by PCGS or NGC
- MS63-MS66 Saint Gaudens coins have the largest and most active market.
- PCGS and NGC are the two most highly respected grading services in the numismatic community.
- PCGS and NGC both guarantee that their coins they grade are true for that grade or your money back.
- French 20 Franc Gold Roosters – Pre-1933
- Since coins dated prior to 1933 are classified as a “collectible” by the IRS, they have additional tax advantages!